Diabetes Prevention & Control
3601 C Street, Suite 722
Anchorage, AK 99503
Julie Shasteen, PhD
Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support (DSMES) Umbrella License
The State of Alaska has a DSMES umbrella license which allows our office to help health care organizations obtain American Diabetes Association (ADA) recognition for their diabetes education programs and waive the application fee. Under an umbrella arrangement, the State of Alaska would function as the sponsor and the local sites that provide the DSMES service would function as the recognized sites. The role of the sponsor is funding and coordination. The overarching advantage is that the state carries the administrative burden. Other benefits of the umbrella license include:
To learn more about this process see the documents below:
- Network of DSMES sites that promotes sharing of resources
- Participation in a monthly networking call with other sites under the umbrella
- Audit is done at the state level, so this takes the burden off of the local sites
- There is only one Advisory Committee, organized by the state
- The state pays the license fees
- Annual reports are submitted by the state
- Oversight and assistance provided to ensure that all required elements are in place to maintain recognition.
If your organization has a diabetes education program for which you are interested in seeking recognition, review the documents listed below, or contact the State Diabetes Prevention and Control Program staff.
For more information, visit www.diabetes.org/erp.com
If you would like to learn about our current projects, please e-mail: Diabetes@alaska.gov.