Sign In
Skip to content
Help us improve our website by providing your valuable feedback

Information for Parents:
I Child Care Assistance Program

PASS I child care assistance is available to parents receiving Alaska Temporary Assistance benefits while they seek work or participate in activities leading them toward employment. Temporary assistance case mangers work with parents to help them determine the amount of child care needed for work or approved activities. Parents select the provider who will care for their children. A provider is eligible to participate and receive payments from the child care assistance program if they meet the child care provider requirements established by the division of public assistance.


You must be receiving benefits from the Alaska Temporary Assistance Program (ATAP) and be working or participating in an assigned work activity to receive PASS I child care assistance. If eligible, you can receive child care assistance for children who are under the age of 13.


You will be responsible for any costs your child care provider charges over the state rate, or for any care used outside of authorized timeframes.

Child Care Hours

Your case manager will work with you to determine the number of child care hours covered each month based on your schedule of work or other assigned activities combined with your need for child care. An authorization will be issued covering the timeframe for which your family is eligible. You will be responsible for any care used outside of authorized timeframes.

How to Apply

If you are already receiving ATAP benefits, contact your case manager or DPA case worker for more information on PASS I child care assistance. Otherwise, please contact your local DPA office.

PASS I Payments

The authorized child care amount is paid directly to your child care provider on a monthly basis.
PASS I child care assistance may also offer a supplement to child care providers who care for children with special needs. Please contact the Child Care Program Office for information on the special needs supplement.