Health Analytics & Vital Records
Alaska Vital Records Issuance Units in Juneau and Anchorage will not be available by phone on Tuesday and Thursday after 12:00 pm (noon) until further notice. When short-staffed, we must sometimes close to walk-in service from 1-2 pm. Thank you for understanding!
If unable to visit our offices, you may still obtain certified copies of vital records by filling out an order form under "Order Certificates" in the right-hand column and sending it to us by mail, fax, or by using VitalChek.
Please see our order forms for more information and instructions.
As there may be long hold times, please look at the FAQs as well as the instructions on the form before calling our offices with questions.
Thank you and we apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.
Obtaining your marriage license via mail:
- For people working through the Anchorage vital records office, where you have already applied for a marriage license, paid the $60 fee, and both parties have signed the Marriage License Application:
- Please send an email to ANCHBVS@alaska.gov so that we may send your marriage license to you by mail.
- In your email please provide full names of both parties so that we may easily locate your application.
- For people working through the Juneau vital records office, please call 907-465-3391 to get further instructions.
New Marriage License Applications:
- Learn how to submit a request for Marriage License.
- Please mail your notarized application to the Juneau or Anchorage office with copies of your IDs and the $60 fee by check or money order. Please note: Personal checks must have your current address on it.
- Because Regular Mail can take up to 4 weeks or more, please consider having your license returned to you by one of the following:
- Priority mail without signature for $9.00
- Priority Mail with signature/tracking for $12.00
- Fed Ex Alaska Mail with signature/tracking for $25.00
- Fed Ex USA Mail with signature/tracking for $30.00
- Priority and Fed Ex Mail that includes signature/tracking will ensure your License is received in a timely manner.
- Your marriage license will be mailed to you.
The Health Analytics & Vital Records Section is responsible for administering vital records for events that occurred within the State of Alaska. Vital records include data from births, deaths, fetal deaths, divorces, and marriages, as well as reports of adoption, paternity, and amendments.
Please note: Health Analytics and Vital Records has received calls regarding third party vendors selling birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates. These companies charge customers high fees to “process” or “help apply” for certificates issued from the Health Analytics and Vital Records Section. We encourage customers to order certified copies only from Health Analytics and Vital Records using the forms listed under the “order certificates” section on this page, or through our contracted vendor VitalChek.
- You can place orders for vital records via walk-in to our Anchorage or Juneau office, or by mail, fax, or VitalChek.
- For mail, fax or VitalChek orders: Please submit your order using only one method of submission. Be advised that if you submit your requests via more than one method, you will be charged for each order.
- We are no longer taking orders via E-mail to ensure the security of your personal information. For secure online ordering, please use VitalChek.
- Expedited request must be faxed or submitted via VitalChek. Expedited requests sent via mail will not be expedited.
- Non-expedited orders take approximately 4-6 weeks to be processed after being received by us. Expedited orders take approximately 2-5 business days to be processed. These times do not include the shipping time to you.
- Regular mail cannot be tracked, and because of the sensitive nature of vital record documents, we strongly advise you to order using a shipping method with a tracking number (Priority Mail or FedEx).
- If you choose regular mail and do not receive your order, you will need to resubmit a new request along with ID and payment.
- We do not recommend you use a "General Delivery" mailing address on your order. However, if it cannot be avoided, please request Priority mail with a tracking number.
- For amending a vital record, please contact our Special Services unit at 465-1200 for further instructions.
Please be advised that copies are available only for those events which have occurred in Alaska. Obtaining records for events occurring in other states may be found at the National Center for Health Statistics.
Under Alaska law, all vital records are strictly confidential until they are released as public records after a set period of time: 100 years for births and 50 years for all other events.
For additional information regarding Alaska vital records, please contact the Juneau Vital Records Office.
For more information on hospitalizations visit the Health Data Reporting System (HDFR). For HFDR and Vital Statistics data tables and reports, please visit Data and Statistics. For information and data on cancer cases in Alaska please visit the Alaska Cancer Registry or contact email@example.com. For all other Health Analytics programs please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.